Wednesday, October 24, 2012

“…And You And Daddy Were Not On A Break”

-->
A few years after the fact and I’m still feeling a little Friends-less.
I’m not lonely, no, only talking about the ten-season-sitcom that changed nineties television.

Which is why I’m excited I found a hotspot for all my belated F.R.I.E.N.D.S gear! One item in particular caught my nostalgic eye this morning: the We Were On A Break t-shirt, in part because of the quote. In another part, because they printed the quote on the front and back of the shirt, to make the message clear as you’re walking toward and walking away, I guess.
…Well I thought it was funny.

Unfortunately, the first circumstance wasn’t as amusing. Rachel asked for “a break from us” during one of her blowouts with Ross. However, “break,” and what it meant, lost its meaning in translation when they both use it to un-justify cheating (cheating?) on the other. Whether “break” meant “pause,” or break-up, remains to be seen. The good news is, I can write this article with some semblance of happiness because Ross and Rachel do end the decade-long program together…if not with one final “break” joke.

Other quotable notables include:

·      Ross cheating on Rachel with Carol
            (“You know what, Ross, why don’t you put that on your answering machine?” -- Rachel)
·      Ross cheating on Carol with Rachel
·      Ross yelling at Chandler in the middle of the Central Perk
·      Ross yelling over the phone in Monica’s apartment (Don’t worry, Chandler rescued Monica)
·      A plane passenger telling Rachel that it was perfectly clear she was on a break, when she cheated with someone else.
·      “…What about that time I said ‘we were on a break’?”
·      “And that’s why, no matter what Mommy says, we really were on a break.”

And my personal favorite,

·      “Unless…we were on a break…don’t make jokes now!”
Ross finally realizing the quote may be a bit overused and entirely unnecessary.

The quote might be a fan favorite, but F.R.I.E.N.D.S and Cool TV Props are not responsible for the outcome of using—or wearing—said quote in real life. Speak with caution, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment